POLYSORBATE 80, sometimes referred to by the trade name Tween 80, is a non ionic emulsifier and surfactant used for blending oil based and water based ingredients and additives in to formulations together.
Polysorbate 80 is soluble in alcohol and water; insoluble in oils. It is used in oil in water recipes for lotions, body washes, hair creams, lip gloss, scrubs, dispersing bath oils, conditioners, bath bombs, shampoos, body sprays/linen sprays.
- Used in formulas with our Crothix pastilles to thicken formulas.
- Used to solubilize fragrances and essential oils, and blend with vegetable oils to create bath oils that "bloom," when added to bath water.
- Brings an often desired added lubricity beneficial in many formulations.
- A great choice to improve rinse off of anhydrous scrubs, and cleansing oils.
- Can also help loosen the stiffness created when you've accidentally added too much thickener in a formulation and it has reached the "glob" stage.
- Useful in helping to correct an unstable emmulsion which has seperated.
Polysorbate 80. has endless possibilities.
Polysorbates are typically nonirritating.
Environmentally readily biodegradable. Polysorbate 80 is typically derived from vegetable oils like olive oil.
Product Code, INCI Name and CAS No.
- INCI Name: Sorbitan Monooleate Ethoxylated
- CAS no: 9005-65-6
- EINECS no.: 500-019-9
- Appearance: Clear Amber Liquid
- Odor: Mild Bland Odor
- Cloud Point: 136°F
- Pour Point: -5°F
- Hydroxyl Value: 65 to 80
- Acid Value: 2.0 Max
- Saponification Value: 45 to 55
- Flash Point: 199°F
- Solubility in Water: Solubility in Water
- Specific Gravity: 1.08
Use in Cosmetics and Soap Making
Commonly used in anti-aging creams and lotions, anti static agent, coffee whiteners, hair care products, hair conditioners, green products, sunscreens, water soluble polymers, eye creams and emulsifiers.
Keep in a cool (preferably below 85°F, the cooler the better), dark and dry store-room.
Under optimal storage conditions, in original unopened drums/containers, minimum two years.